Timo MandlerMarketing Researcher & Educator
Effective Marketing in Times of Transformative Globalization & Disruptive Digitalization
Originally from Germany, I work as an Associate Professor of Marketing & International Business at Toulouse Business School in France. I received my Ph.D. degree (with distinction) in Business Administration from the University of Hamburg. My research focuses on contemporary marketing challenges in the context of globalization and digitalization. Accordingly, my work is characterized by an international perspective, a combination of primary and secondary data, and rigorous analytical methods. My work has been published in the Journal of International Business Studies, Journal of International Marketing, International Marketing Review, and Journal of Business Research. I also serve as an Associate Editor for the International Marketing Review.
Copyright notice: You are permitted to download each of the listed articles for one-time personal use only. For any further distribution, publication, or commercial use, please obtain the publisher’s permission.
Articles in Peer-Reviewed Journals
- Mandler, Timo, Fabian Bartsch, and Katharina Zeugner-Roth (2023), “Are Brands Re-Evaluated When Consumers Learn about Brand Origin Misperceptions? Outcomes, Processes, and Contingent Effects,” Journal of Business Research, 164, 113941. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2023.113941
- Mandler, Timo, Fabian Bartsch, Tinka Krüger, Kyungae Kim, and C. Min Han (2023), “Consumer Animosity: The Mitigating Effect of Perceived Brand Globalness,” International Marketing Review, 40 (2), 365–384. https://doi.org/10.1108/IMR-08-2022-0186
- Özsomer, Aysegül, Bernard Simonin, and Timo Mandler (2023), “Marketing Agility in Subsidiaries: Market Orientation and Marketing Program Standardization as the ‘Twin Engines’ of Performance,” Journal of International Marketing, 31 (2), 6–24. https://doi.org/10.1177/1069031X221130740
- Zeißler, Jennifer, Timo Mandler, and Jeeyeon Kim (2023), “What Drives Royalty Rates in International Franchising,” Journal of International Marketing, 31 (2), 103–123. https://doi.org/10.1177/1069031X221123265
- Elgaaied-Gambier, Leila and Timo Mandler (2021), “Me Trying to Talk About Sustainability: Exploring the Psychological and Social Implications of Environmental Threats Through User-Generated Content,” Ecological Economics, 187, 1–15. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecolecon.2021.107089
- Barbarossa, Camilla and Timo Mandler (2021), “Not All Wrongdoers are Equal in the Public Eye: A Moderated Mediation Model of Country Stereotypes, Condemning Emotions, and Retaliatory Intent in Corporate Crises,” Journal of International Marketing, 29 (2), 26–44. https://doi.org/10.1177/1069031X20983806
- Mandler, Timo, Burcu Sezen, Jieke Chen, Aysegül Özsomer (2021), “Performance Consequences of Marketing Standardization/Adaptation: A Systematic Literature Review and Future Research Agenda,” Journal of Business Research, 125, 416–435. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2020.12.023
- Chen, Yanyan, Timo Mandler, and Lars Meyer-Waarden (2021), “Three Decades of Research on Loyalty Programs: A Literature Review and Future Research Agenda,” Journal of Business Research, 124, 179–197. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2020.11.057
- Mandler, Timo, Fabian Bartsch, and C. Min Han (2021), “Brand Credibility and Marketplace Globalization: The Role of Perceived Brand Globalness and Localness,” Journal of International Business Studies, 52, 1559–1590. https://doi.org/10.1057/s41267-020-00312-2
- Mandler, Timo, Marius Johnen, Jan-Frederik Gräve (2020), “Can’t Help Falling in Love? How Brand Luxury Generates Positive Consumer Affect in Social Media,” Journal of Business Research, 120, 330–342. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2019.10.010
- Diamantopoulos, Adamantios, Vasileios Davvetas, Fabian Bartsch, Timo Mandler, Maja Arslanagic-Kalajdzic, and Martin Eisend (2019), “On the Interplay Between Consumer Dispositions and Perceived Brand Globalness: Alternative Theoretical Perspectives and Empirical Assessment,” Journal of International Marketing, 27 (4), 39–57. https://doi.org/10.1177/1069031X19865527
- Mandler, Timo (2019), “Beyond Reach: An Extended Model of Global Brand Effects,” International Marketing Review, 36 (5), 647–674. https://doi.org/10.1108/IMR-01-2018-0032
- Mandler, Timo, Sungbin Won, Kyungae Kim (2017), “Consumers’ Cognitive and Affective Responses to Brand Origin Misclassifications: Does Confidence in Brand Origin Identification Matter?” Journal of Business Research, 80, 197–209. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2017.05.014
Selection of Ongoing Projects
Marketing × Globalization
Political Ideology and Brand Localness
An investigation of how political ideology influences the effectiveness of local brand positioning strategies using a longitudinal dataset combining retail, voting, and survey data.
Consumer Animosity and Perceived Brand Globalness
A study that explores the question if global brand positioning strategies can help to mitigate the negative effects of consumer animosity.
Marketing × Digitalization
Dynamics and Drivers of Pre-Release Consumer Buzz
Empirical studies of how buzz for upcoming products evolves over time and how it can be effectively stimulated through key managerial levers (e.g., advertising, social media content).
Interactivity and Customer Engagement
An investigation of the role of interactivity between customers and peer service providers in driving engagement on sharing economy platforms.
AIB 2021 Best Conference Reviewer Award
For outstanding reviews of research papers submitted to the 2021 Academy of International Business (AIB) Conference.
2020 Emerald Literati "Outstanding Reviewer" Award
For outstanding reviews of articles submitted to the International Marketing Review in 2019.
2020 Emerald Literati "Highly Commended Paper" Award
For the article “Beyond Reach: An Extended Model of Global Brand Effects” published in the International Marketing Review.
AIB 2020 Best Conference Reviewer Award
For outstanding reviews of research papers submitted to the 2020 Academy of International Business (AIB) Conference.
AIB 2018 Best Conference Reviewer Award
For outstanding reviews of research papers submitted to the 2018 Academy of International Business (AIB) Conference.
2017 Susan P. Douglas Award
For the Best Conference Paper on International Marketing (“The Differential Effect of Global Brand Origin: How Domestic-Global Brands Create Value”) at the 2017 European Marketing Academy (EMAC) Conference..
2017 University of Leeds Best Ph.D. Student Paper Award
For the Best Paper based on Doctoral Work (“Beyond Reach: An Extended Model of Global Brand Effects”) at the 2017 American Marketing Association (AMA) ‘Global Marketing’ SIG Conference.
2017 University of Alabama Best Reviewer Award
For outstanding reviews of research papers submitted to the 2017 American Marketing Association (AMA) ‘Global Marketing’ SIG Conference.
I am a co-founder of ryddle, a tech start-up specializing in chatbot-based walking tours. Our walking tours resemble scavenger hunts and let players explore a city in a playful way. During the walking tours, the players interact with a fictitious character who exposes them to challenging riddles and provides them with interesting information about their surroundings. To do so, we use state-of-the-art chatbot technology and leverage the multimedia capabilities of major messenger applications (e.g., photos, video clips, voice messages).
Want to learn more about my research?